Δευτέρα 6 Ιουλίου 2015

My #SUSI Second Week: Part I

I am pretty sure I have lost all of my blog followers as I had failed the number one rule for engaging audiences in social media: feed the content monster (quoting Gay Kawasaki). But I have a really good excuse. Actually two. Or maybe three. I got sick and then we traveled for six days to Colorado and then I had to survive (I still have) the Greek crisis. Soooooo, am I excused?


That week begun with an interesting lecture by Rene Arcilla, Professor, Philosophy and Humanities Education in NYU entitled: The search of Community in the American Imagination where we tried to explore how communities were build in the US- and how communities are build in general- and what is the role of imagination in this process. From my point of view, and trying to think also of virtual communities, people tend to collaborate and form groups in order to create and share stories and experiences. As Professor Arcilla stated, during his analysis of Richard Rorty's book "Achieving Our Country"  "community is searching for something together" incorporating the elements of imagination, adventure, experimentation and mistakes (elements that I can certainly experience the past week facing the crisis in my country). And I will be back with the community building thing as our third week was mainly focused on diverse communities that formed the US nation.

This very night we continued exploring our new neighbourhood and I can assure you that all this exploration (and the rest to come) is for academic reasons and part of our research here, as we want to understand as much as we can the US culture and society :)



We ended to a very nice jazz bar close to Washington Square that made me feel I was part of the Mad Men cast (please keep that) so I was even more excited!


The lectures continued throughout the week, but I also had the chance to meet with two interesting people and experience theatre plays on Broadway and in the park.


So, we discussed media and censorship and for me it's super intriguing to witness how the whole Greek situation has been covered the past weeks form international and local media (maybe this is a book idea!), entrepreneurship and the rise of middle class.



I had to consume lots of coffee in order to connect the dots between my notes and make the accordingly co-relations with current political, economical and social issues. For example, I really liked the approach of Professor Brian Murphy on studying entrepreneurship via history and politics, and during his lecture I couldn't help thinking that the first period of entrepreneurial growth in the US where one bank existed and lots of limitations reminds of Greece current situation.


He also mentioned that Salem (remember what I told you? I always keep my promises) and other cities in New England during the pre-bank era, due to heavy winter had to come up with other ideas than farming in order to generate money. This concept is close to the startup concept: the best entrepreneurial ideas are the ones that solve or try to solve an everyday problem with an innovative way. So, I will definitely read more history in order to understand better the entrepreneurial wave. Did you know that George Washington was one of the first and best entrepreneurs?

And on that note, I am gonna kiss you goodnight and I promise, promise, promise that I will continue with parts II and III as soon as I can!





Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου