Δευτέρα 15 Ιουνίου 2015

My #SUSI first week: Part I

It all started some months ago when I received a phone call from the Public Affairs Department of the US Embassy in Athens informing me and encouraging me towards a great opportunity: to apply for this year's fellowship in Studies of United States Institute on U.S. Culture and Society. So, I filled the application and waited...

Fortunately, I didn't have to wait much, as couple of months later my phone rang again. The news were fantastic- otherwise I assume you wouldn't have been reading this blogpost-! I was selected along with 17 more fellows from around the world to participate :)

So, when the day came my wonderful friends threw me a farewell party where they made sure to provide me with all the essentials (Miss u guys!).


And there I was on my way to New York! Did I mention that the fellowship is hosted by NYU (the excitement keeps growing)?? Having as my motto, "If I can make it to New York, I can make it everywhere" I flew to JFK ready to face this adventure.


After 10 hours in the plane (thank God Delta Airlines have launched again their direct flights to NYC) I got to the Big Apple and checked in at Palladium, my new home for the following 6 weeks in  Union Square.

My first week passed really quick- time flies and when you are in NYC flies faster I think- and it had a bit of everything: excitement, new friends, sun, rain, witches, Larry Bird, great tours, lots of walking, interesting lectures, libraries, sore feet, jet lag, rooftop cocktails.

The first day we experienced an amazing tour of midtown Manhattan led by Carol Krinsky, Professor of Art History in NYU. As she stated, this isn't going to be a tour-lecture about architecture, art and aesthetics, but a story of money, engineering and law. Carol is a great storyteller and did what I love to call "building storytelling". Every building is a kind of medium, narrating not only its own story, but as well as the story of cities, people and different eras.


The following days we had the chance to visit and explore a bit the Bobst NYU Library, a treasure house of research. Designed as a "donut" and after Manhattan, having an uptown part, where it is more quiet, and an downtown part, where it is more noisy, this library is going to host me tooooooooo many hours during this trip.


Of course, I couldn't help visiting Forbidden Planet (next door literally), Barnes and Noble as well as The Strand where I spotted The Woods, a comic series co-created by my dearest friend and work partner Mike Dialynas.

Although we were exhausted we couldn't say no to the famous Manhattan rooftops where we enjoyed famous cocktails with a stunning view.


If you think that my first week is over, you are wrong as on Thursday we all boarded to the train to New England. But more about this trip in my following post. I am leaving you with the sweetest flavour of the traditional New York cheesecake.


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου